Community Banking Digital Customer Journey Checklist
The number one place your customers are going to be interacting with your bank is on a digital platform. With transactions, deposits, transfers, and other banking functions living in an online space, community banking services have never been easier. But are your customers experiencing a seamless consumer journey when they access your site? Take a look at the checklist below to see if you have the crucial elements to a good site, and a good
Online Banking Services
The most important thing your bank needs to have digital success is to have most or all of your services available online. This means that your consumers should have the ability to do everything from start to finish, online, whether it’s opening an account, adding funds, or getting approval. However, there are a few key services that are necessary to the foundation of your bank’s online experience.
Do your online services include the ability to:
- • Open an account
- • Apply for a loan
- • Apply for a Credit Card
- • Transfer money
- • Order checks
It takes more than just offering these services online. A difficult process will frustrate users and turn down potential customers. When using your online banking services, are you also touching on these crucial points?
Are your online banking services:
- • Simple and to the point?
- • At the front of your website?
- • Able to access on multiple types of devices?
- • Able to store customer information?
With these two categories of necessities checked off, your digital banking experience is off to a good start.
An Online Consumer Journey
With so many services living online, you need a website that can keep up with everything. Having a good user experience for your site is crucial for customer activation and retention. This includes fostering successful user journeys as customers access your products and services online. There’s a variety of ways that you can improve your website and your user experience. With more categories covered, the better your site will be.
Does your site cover these technical aspects?
- • Fast site speed (4 or less seconds to load).
- • No broken internal links.
- • No broken external links.
- • No broken buttons.
- • Appropriate image settings.
- • Standard formatting across different devices.
- • Fixed logo.
Just like your physical bank, your website should be accessible and easy to navigate for all users. This is an important, and legal, requirement that your site needs to follow.
Your website should have these accessibility requirements:
- • Proper heading tags and HTML.
- • A proper color contrast ratio throughout the site.
- • Alternative text and descriptions for photos.
- • Searchbars, sitemaps, and breadcrumbs in the proper places.
- • Anchor text where needed.
- • Proper text size.
- • Keyboard search and movement abilities.
For the full list of accessibility requirements, visit https://accessible.org/.
After your website is technically functional, and is ADA compliant, you need to make sure that your site is user friendly visually and functionally. An interesting, clean site is more likely to bring customers back than an overcrowded and messy site. Where do you draw the line between informational and overwhelming? That is where a strong UX design comes into play. Having a good web design can improve your whole website experience.
Some good basic UX design improvements you can implement are:
- • Location and contact information are clearly displayed.
- • Any social media links are clearly displayed.
- • Images and videos are relevant and meaningful.
- • There is a clear site structure.
- • The navigation of your site is easy to follow.
- • Related information is grouped together.
- • Your site is visually appealing.
- • Font styles are used consistently.
- • You follow a strict design system.
- • The background is simple and not distracting.
Improving Your Website’s User Experience
You would never want your bank’s physical space to look run down, messy, and old. The same should go for your digital space, AKA your bank’s website. Your website represents your business in the virtual world, and should be as functional and appealing as if someone was walking into your bank to use your services.
Using some of the recommendations from the checklist above, you can work towards improving your UX design. Your users are going to be traveling through different user journeys based on the different products and services they are going to be using. by understanding the various user journeys and pain points of your online services, you can then highlight important factors of and improve your UX design.
An easy exercise you can work on to do this is to pretend to be a consumer accessing your website. Write out the distinct steps that a user will need to take in order to use your services.
- 1. Search for the bank on a search engine.
- 2. Open the bank’s website.
- 3. From the homepage, click saving account
- 4. From saving account, click “sign up for a savings account”
- 5. Choose from the dropdown menu the type of savings account.
- 6. Fill out the online form
- 7. Click submit
You can then identify some of the pain points a customer might be experiencing.
- • You have to click multiple pages to get to sign up.
- • A dropdown menu is an extra component you need to open.
- • Can we autofill some of the data for the online form for returning customers?
Now that you have highlighted some pain points in your user journey, you can then go through and make improvements to the UX/UI design. This exercise is a simple but effective way to make sure your customers are getting the most out of your banking website.
Website Services for Community Banks
Managing a community bank full time, on top of trying to manage an online website can be a lot of work. That’s where professionals at DIGICONVO can step in to help. We can ensure that your website is in its best shape, paying close attention to the technical aspects that keep things running smoothly. We also take a comprehensive look at your banking site’s UX/UI functionality in order to make any improvements necessary to give your customers the best online experience. For all of your website needs, give DIGICONVO a call today!